Position Announcement: Executive Director, Mosaic Development Group located in Charlotte, NC
Position Announcement: Executive Director, Mosaic Development Group
location Charlotte, NC
Are you a housing strategist with experience leading financially complex organizations and affordable
Are you the kind of leader who believes people are an organization’s most important asset and who
knows how to build, nurture, and inspire a community internally and externally?
Are you driven by building broad partnerships and finding creative solutions to make affordable housing
Mosaic Development Group, a non-profit housing provider based in Charlotte, North Carolina with a
mission to enhance communities and improve lives through diverse housing and economic development
solutions, is on the hunt for its next Executive Director.
After 22 years on the team and 9 years as the Executive Director, Kathy Stilwell will be stepping down as
Executive Director. The Board has formed a Search Committee to guide a successful leadership
Why Mosaic Development Group?
Since 1966, the support of organizations and individuals has helped us develop over 3,700+ units of
affordable housing across North Carolina providing a home to an estimated 26,500 families, senior
citizens, and individuals with special needs. In addition, there are nearly 200 housing units in the pipeline
We believe high-quality housing, that is affordable to a variety of incomes, is a catalyst for vibrant
healthy communities. Our vision is that everyone has access to high quality housing they can afford, in
thriving communities that offer a variety of jobs and services.
Mosaic Development Group is guided by the following beliefs:
Integrity: We strive to be known for reliable, honest, respectful, and ethical behavior with a proven
history of providing quality and excellence.
Innovation: We aim to identify and align resources to solve housing issues by expanding in new and
Collaboration: We partner with other organizations and the broader community to achieve our mission
and mutual goals.
Accountability: We work to manage resources most effectively and efficiently possible.
Mosaic Development Group is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization funded through local, state, federal
government grants, developer fees, rental income, and is interested in building a philanthropic revenue
stream to support its work.
Under the direction of a 12-member board of directors, the Executive Director will lead a team of 5
affordable housing professionals. We are proud of the work we do together. In 2019, we were named as
one of the top 50 affordable housing developers in the country by Affordable Housing Finance
Want to know more, visit Mosaic Development Groups’ website: www.mosaicdevelopmentgroup.org
What Will You Do as Mosaic Development Group Executive Director?
- Creatively overcome the challenges that come with each affordable housing development
including assembling complex multi-layered financing, identifying suitable land for development
in areas of opportunity, and identify creative ways to increase and preserve the availability of
high-quality affordable housing
- Lead the staff, nurturing a sense of unity that ensures collaboration and personal accountability
- Drive efforts to grow the current housing portfolio (25 properties with 1,200+ units) by more
than 500 units in the next 5 years
- Preserve the existing Mosaic portfolio as high-quality affordable housing for the long term
- Forge alliances with elected officials, city, county, and state staff leaders and financing partners
within the full spectrum of housing who are focused on leveraging all available resources to
support affordable housing needs
- Serve as a thought partner with the Board of Directors to set the strategic vision, determine the
priorities, and ensure the funding
- Inspire government partners, donors, and funders to invest deeply in Mosaic Development
Group’s plans to provide affordable housing
- Manage an annual operating budget of $2 million. This budget is exclusive to Mosaic as the
parent company only and does not include the operational budget for related entities including
all properties in the portfolio and any active development projects
- Build on the successes of five decades of service to communities throughout North Carolina and
position Mosaic Development Group to thrive in the next five decades
Key Lived Experiences, Attributes and Skillsets of the Executive Director
- All in on the Mosaic Development Group mission, vision, and beliefs
- Experience casting a vision, building a strategy, and leading the successful execution of a plan
- Knowledge of the financial complexities and regulatory necessities of an organization that
operates with a wide variety of affordable housing funding sources (e.g., LIHTC, HUD, HOME,
USDA, HTF, Federal Home Loan Bank AHP, foundation and government grants and major banking
corporations), rental income, private donations, social impact investment, and other
- Extensive understanding of the affordable housing, real estate, government, and philanthropic
landscapes in North Carolina
- Inspiring communicator and relationship builder who can engage staff, board, partner agencies,
government allies, funding partners, and advocates
- Knowledge of human resource functions with direct experience in structuring, hiring, onboarding
and continually building the team
- Decision-maker who understands when it is time to build consensus and when it is time to act
- Experience in creating multiple revenue streams of income to further expand impact and cover
operational and programmatic expenses
- Experience in nonprofit management, real estate development and/or property management
Think you are the next Mosaic Development Group Executive Director?
To apply, click on the link to the Executive Director position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/jobs. You
will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and
professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any
technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications
will be accepted by email.
Review of candidates will begin in May 2022 and continue until the position is filled. Salary range being
offered for this opportunity is based on experience and qualifications but is expected to be between
$125,000-$150,000. Benefits include health, dental, and life insurance, short-term disability, 403b
retirement plan with 3% match, 11 paid holidays, comp time and accrued vacation and sick time.